Governor McDonnell Announces New and Improved 511 Virginia Traffic Information System
– New system features mobile app, improved website and enhanced voice recognition software –
RICHMOND - Governor Bob McDonnell announced today that the Virginia Department of Transportation launched the next generation of 511 traffic information. Motorists can download a free mobile app that will give them real-time traffic information, visit the new 511 website with live streaming video of traffic conditions or call the improved 511 phone system.
"Virginia is a leader among state departments of transportation in providing real-time traffic information and live streaming traffic images to help motorists make the best travel choices," said Governor McDonnell. "The new and improved 511 system empowers drivers with the knowledge they need to avoid congestion and take a faster route to their destination."
The new system includes several features and enhancements, all accessed via www.511virginia.org:
- Mobile apps for Android and iPhone featuring real-time traffic cameras, travel times, electronic message signs and traffic maps
- New and improved 511 phone service with a better voice recognition system
- Website showing incidents, construction zones, electronic message signs, travel times and traffic cameras
- The majority of traffic cameras stream video at 15 frames per second, providing sharp and clear images
- Reach the Beach information that shows the fastest routes to the Virginia Beach Oceanfront and the Outer Banks Expressway
"Another innovative component to this program is generating revenue through sponsorships to help pay for the 511 service," said Transportation Secretary Sean T. Connaughton. "New 511 signs have space for sponsorships. In return for the space, sponsors help offset costs for VDOT to provide 511. The long-term goal is to break even. That's a significant win for motorists and taxpayers."
VDOT Chief of System Operations Constance S. Sorrell added, "For more than a year, VDOT has been working diligently to enhance our 511 traffic information system. These new enhancements are designed to improve the overall 511 user experience. I encourage all motorists to take full advantage of the new features and free, real-time traffic information 511 Virginia offers."
Since its inception in 2002, 511 Virginia has received more than 11 million calls and 8 million website visits. The 511 Virginia service typically receives 200,000 calls each month. The system can be accessed by calling 511 from any land line or cell phone in Virginia or visiting www.511Virginia.org.
# # #